Reading and Writing Skills in Calculus

       In this Transfer Blog, I will be writing about how I have used skills that I have learned in my CAD class. CAD is a class focused around Reading and Writing, more specifically rhetoric and how it's used on our daily lives. In my Calculus class strategies like reading aloud and paraphrasing what the author is saying has helped me tremendously. Drawing lines and connecting them to how interest them has been one of the. most profound one. The way the Calculus questions are phrased can at times make it difficult to comprehend. By rephrasing what is written in the text, I am better capable of understanding what the question os truly asking. 

       As you can see in the image, for every sentence written I would interpret it in my own way by rephrasing what is already said on the page. Thinking aloud goes hand-in-hand with rephrasing, as thinking aloud helps me rephrase what the question says, rather than just silently rephrasing. This helps me get a deeper understanding of what they are are asking for, as I often struggle with grasping what the question is truly asking. Although I only slightly rephrase what the text says, this has proven to be surprisingly helpful to me, as it makes it so the text and questions aren't as difficult for me to wrap my head around. 

Comments

  1. Emiliano,

    Paraphrasing is a powerful tool. One of the reasons it's so powerful is that it allows you to separate your intellectual work into stages, which you imply here. Because you separate the work of understanding what the question is asking from the work of answering the question, you leave more of your processing power free to solve the problem when you get there. This is a great strategy to use in all kind of problem-solving situations, including writing. The more you can break the intellectual work into phases, the more brain power you free up for each stage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication