Julian Moore's Transfer Blog



Julian Moore


Professor Graph


CAD101A


October 8, 2019


Transfer Blog





There have been many concepts and strategies I learned throughout my time in CAD101A that I have implemented into my daily life and scholarly work while at California State University Monterey Bay. A concept I struggled with heavily before college was scholarly research. I was never properly taught how to find credible scholarly sources and cite them appropriately in the format necessary for the assignment. Although I am only a month and a half into school I have improved immensely in this department. The research for my Individual Inquiry project has been a learning process but I am now able to successfully search for scholarly sources through one search. One search is a research engine that has reliable sources written by other educated Scholars, this filters out weak non-credible sources one may find when doing a google search. There are many approaches to take when starting research. For example some factors I now take into account when doing scholarly research is, who is the audience, what is the purpose, and is the research question being answered. I now take these concepts into account when doing scholarly research and learned apply them my public speaking class, HCOM110. In two weeks I will give a four to five minute Informative speech on an assigned topic, the speech must include five to seven scholarly sources. The topic I was assigned is global warming but we had to narrow down our topic to a subtopic. After researching information about Global Warming using one search I tried different keywords for global warming to zero in on my subtopic which is, how climate change affects biodiversity in plants and animals. Once my subtopic was chosen I used the advanced search option in one search and selected only peer reviewed articles to find adequate information for my speech. Over all, without my knowledge of how to perform scholarly research from CAD101A I would not have been able to find satisfactory sources for my Informative speech in HCOM110.




Comments

  1. I find it interesting to see how you have learned one search for your other classes. I too have used this tool for one of my classes and I have found it extremely helpful when looking for scholarly articles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication