Julians 2nd Transfer Blog

Julian Moore                    Moore 1
Professor Graff
CAD101A
November 10, 2019
Transfer blog
A skill I have greatly improved on since taking CAD101A is annotating and summarizing text. Throughout my high school experience I would always read what was assigned then move on having to rely on my memory to comprehend the readings, at most I would highlight words in the text I found interesting. I found this strategy to be challenging at times to understand complex readings. Coming into college I was not proficient in annotating and make correlations from different parts of readings which is something I have improved immensely on and now use in my other classes.
When I am reading my textbook for Intro Into Environmental Science (ENVS201) it is really important I am synthesizing what I read because we are quizzed on it weekly. I was doing poorly on these quizzes till I started using reading strategies from CAD101A. When reading the textbook I found it helpful to highlight keywords and after every paragraph write a brief summary of how I interpreted the text, I learned these techniques from talking about reading strategies in the beginning of the year. Although annotating the text is very time consuming, once I am done reading the chapter in my textbook it is well worth it because I can then go back and look at all the highlighted words and summaries. This process has helped me understand the content much better in my ENVS201 course which has resulted in an A average on my reading quizzes. I plan to use this skill set for other classes I take in the future.

Comments

  1. Julian,

    As with your first blog, the heading and title of this blog entry make clear that you are doing a school assignment. And if you view your blog entry, you will see that viewers cannot see your entire text.

    That you are identifying key words and summarizing portions of text is helpful for viewers to know. If you took a picture of a page of your annotations and included that in your blog, that would help viewers even more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication