New Concepts within Writing

     

       Within my CAD class, I've been taught an extensive amount of strategies that I can apply to my experiences outside of class, whether it be a different class or a real life situation. I have only recently learned things like writing a paper to cater to a specific audience. Dr. Graff mentioned the idea of writing a paper not to simply complete the assignment, but to communicate something to an audience. These are concepts that I have only been introduced to recently, yet they have had a big impact at the way I look at literature and writing. 
Recipients of Complaint Letters       
       Since learning these concepts I have changed the way I look at papers, whether I am reading them or writing them. I have noticed I have been more analytical of texts like articles or papers, along with looking at the words authors use, and the context in which they use them. I have learned that authors chose words precisely to send a message, which is another concept that I have only recently been aware of and have utilized myself in the papers I have written this year. 
       The Labor Log is something which I have used and have reflected on the most out of all the new concepts and materials I have been learned thus far. It has allowed me to keep a record of how I work based off of where I work and how I'm feeling as I work. Never before have I been cognizant of how I was working or where I was working. This idea of tracking your work efficiency levels depending on where you work and how you work is something so simple, yet I had never thought to keep track of these factors. I have noticed that I work most efficiently/diligently in the library, while the time I work best is around mid-day. The labor log has made me aware of the environment and my mood as I work on any assignment I have to complete. Google sheets allows you to view labor and engagement graphs, something which is very helpful when you want to get a well rounded idea of how long you spend on assignments and the engagement associated with them, which is a very useful tool. 

Comments

  1. Emiliano,

    Thinking about how authors communicate with you and how you communicate with others is crucial to your success both in college and out. It would really have been helpful to your readers to see an example of a text you'd read differently (with an illustration of how your reading changed) and one you'd written differently (with an illustration of how your writing changed). Then, your thoughtful description would have life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have found that, since learning about writing to a specific audience that I have been paying more and more attention to the texts that I read. When doing this I also attempt to find the authors purpose for the piece. I have also used my labor log in order to record the place and times at which I work, and I too have found that I seem to work best at the library around mid-day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication