Reading Aloud

Julian Moore
2/6/2020
Transfer Blog
There are many reading strategies I use when going over specific texts for this class 
but one in particular I found myself using often is reading out loud and then talking about it 
after to my partner, which in this case was Ruben. 
As I read out loud and then talked about what I had just read Ruben took diligent notes 
and when he was speaking I did the same for him. Those are the bullet points that I have 
written down but the main value of this exercise is through discourse. 
It is easy to read something then rush past sentences if there is difficulty or misunderstanding,
 but this exercise forces the person reading to slow down. 
When I take a step back to comprehend what I have just read and talk through it sentence 
by sentence then my understanding of the article becomes much more clear. 
While this exercise may seem time consuming and pointless I assure you that it is beneficial 
and everyone should give it a shot.

Comments

  1. Julian,

    Do you use this in other classes? Do you meet with colleagues and think aloud your way through the texts you read? Or do you meet in groups to talk about the readings?

    When you write about strategies like this, the more specific you can be, the more readers can imagine themselves using the same strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication