Understanding Challenging Readings

CAD Skills

February 10, 2020

In this blog I will be explaining how the Reading skills I have learned in my CAD class have helped me in my Service Learning Class. Part of my Service Learning class we need to read a lot of articles outside of class and then later have a class discussion about them. Many times after receiving my readings I find them confusing or many times they have challenging vocabulary. While reading articles like these I find using my Reading Strategies List very helpful. I identify the problem or the words I don't understand and I reread it or many times look up the word to get a better understanding of it. Many times this helps me understand what they article is saying and what a specific word I don't understand means. Another thing I do to help me understand articles is write side notes asking questions or making small comment that will later on help me in my class discussion.  My Reading Strategies List has helped me with many other challenging articles I read and to come to a better understanding of the text.


Comments

  1. Yadira,

    Looking up unfamiliar words and making notes in the margins are both great strategies. I'd encourage you to try to figure out the unfamiliar words before looking them up--are they defined in the text? Can you get an overall sense of their meaning from the sentence or sentences around them? Could you use your knowledge of word roots, prefixes, and suffixes to figure them out? When you write about these strategies, if you can put into your writing specific examples and explain how the strategies helped you, that will encourage readers to try the same strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better than assumptions:- Communication